Justin McCarty '15

Justin McCarty ’15

header for blogHowdy! I am Justin McCarty, a junior Environmental Studies major. I currently can call San Clemente, CA my hometown (parents live there), but I grew up in Youngstown, OH and still enjoy that background. I am extremely excited and thankful to be participating in the Eco-E Path Mosaic this semester

picture for blog

I am passionate about many things, one of them being to help build a society that is sustainable in its practices and mindsets. For this reason the focus I have chosen within my major is Sustainable Development and Design. I plan to graduate in May of 2015 and from there either study Urban Design at a graduate level, hone my design and and building skills at the Yestermorrow School in Vermont, or work with my other passion renewable energy-specifically biofuels and solar. 

I am currently studying for a LEED Associate exam that I will hopefully be able to use to consult on LEED projects. At Dickinson I work for the Center for Sustainability Education as the Renewable Energy Intern, where I am able to spend my time producing Biodiesel or enhancing the overall renewable energy education experience at

Dickinson. I also am an amateur metalworker and carpenter in my spare time. This semester and summer I will be building a dozen tables of all sizes to furnish my first Carlisle apartment.

Having an amalgamation of interests and talents I understand that it takes a large collection of people to progress through a problem or solve a tough puzzle. I think that the issues facing society now will require the intense work of a variety or professionals.Improving value through problem solving is that the root of entrepreneurism and we face the a problem larger than any seen throughout human history. This moment in the history of the Homo sapien will define our species and I plan to do all I can to make sure it is seen as intelligent and forward thinking.